Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Why I ♥ Christmas: Yummy Sweet Treats


Along with Christmas dinner comes DESSERT!! I am a lover of sweets, no doubt. Tonight for our annual Kleckley/Link Christmas dinner I'm bringing a southern favorite...Humingbird Cake! The recipe comes straight out of the Southern Living cookbook. I've been reading and looking at the pictures in my mom's Southern Living magazines since I was in elementary school.  Full of beautiful deisgn inspiration and yummy recipies, it's definitely my all-time favorite magazine! As soon as me and Kyle's home is complete, and our mailbox is put up I'm subscribing!
 
Humingbird Cake
What you'll need:
 3 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 cups sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamin
3 large eggs; beaten
1 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 (8-ounce) can crushed pineapple
1 cup chopped pecans
Cream Cheese Frosting (recipe below)

What you'll do:
*Combine the first 5 ingredients in a LARGE bowl. Add the eggs and oil, stir until moist (do not beat). Stir in the vanilla, pineapples, pecans, and bananas.
*Pour batter into greased and floured pans of your choice (I used two cake pans). Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes. Let cool in pans for about 10 minutes, remove from pans and cool on wire racks.
*Spread Cream Cheese Frosting between layers and on top/sides of the cake. Sprinkle chopped pecans on top if you wish! Store in refrigerator.

Cream Cheese Frosting

What you'll need:
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup butter or margerine, softened
1 (16-ounce) package powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract

What You'll Do:
*Beat cream cheese and butter with mixer until smooth. Gradually add powdered sugar, beating until light and fluffy. Stir in vanilla.

Merry Christmas & ENJOY ♥

 

No comments: